Main Gallery, Middle Gallery, Project Space & Gallery 4
Blue Star Contemporary seeks proposals from artists living and working in Bexar County for three-month residencies in Berlin, Germany. We are pleased to continue this program for a fourth year. In partnership with Künstlerhaus Bethanien, Blue Star awards four artists annually the opportunity to live and conduct their studio practice in one of the world's most significant art centers, Berlin, Germany.
The 2016-2017 Residency cycles are: July 15 - October 8, 2016; October 15, 2016 - January 8, 2017; January 15, 2017 - April 8, 2017; April 15, 2017 - July 8, 2017. Applicants must be able to attend during these dates but may specify their preferences in the application. Following the completion of each artist's residency, an exhibition of artwork inspired by their experience will occur at Blue Star. More information about the Künstlerhaus Bethanien can be found at www.bethanien.de/en/
Four artists will be selected by a jury to participate in the 2016-2017 Blue Star Contemporary Berlin Residency Program, based on their application consisting of a CV, letter of intent, and portfolio.
• Currently reside in Bexar County and conduct a significant portion of their artistic practice/outreach in San Antonio.
• Must have at least five years of relevant work experience and/or specialized arts training, such as a degree or certificate.
• Derive a portion of individual earned income from their artistic practice or areas related to their field or demonstrate a clear investment of time and resources into their artistic practice.
• Have professional portfolios that include publicly displayed and possibly published works.
• There is a $10 administrative fee for submitting your application. The fee is paid directly to Slideroom. Other important information: • Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their submission in March.
· A current CV including exhibition record, education/training, professional experience, lectures, publications, etc. and contact information - email, phone number, current physical address and website.
· A letter of intent expressing why the artist believes she or he should be chosen for the Berlin Residency at Künstlerhaus Bethanien. The written proposal letter must be a maximum of 500 words.
· A 15-image portfolio of the artist's work. Some images may be detail, but must not constitute the majority of the portfolio. The artwork in the portfolio must have been completed within the past five years. Maximum image file size 5 MB. Maximum video file size 60 MB.
Other important information:
· Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their submission March 2016. Please do not contact Blue Star regarding the status of your submission.
· Contact Information: Direct questions regarding the application process or the residency to Jack McGilvray, Exhibitions and Programs Manager by phone at 210-227-6960 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.