- Nov 7: “Blue Star Contemporary at Luminaria ”
- Dec 4: “Spatial Planes”
- Dec 4: Fernando Andrade: “Tierra y Libertad”
- Dec 4: “Northern Triangle”
- More »
- Nov 7:
Topographies of Grace
- Nov 19:
Blue Star Black Tie Bingo
- More »
- Feb 28, 2014-Jan 31, 2015: Richard Hunt: “Art in the Garden 2014” (San Antonio Botanical Garden)
Seniors & B-Cycle Members: $3
Military, Veterans, Students with ID and Blue Star Members: Free
ICE - Support
As part of The Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum's International Initiative, George Schroeder has been invited to create a major sculpture project for the Icelandic Cultural Exchange (ICE).
The project consists of two sculptures: a monumental sculpture for Iceland Sculpture Park in the coastal town of Stokkserri and a second sculpture for the capitol city of Reykjavik. Schroeder is only the third American artist to be selected to install a major permanent sculpture in Iceland: the other two artists are world renowned Yoko Ono and Richard Serra.
The beautiful town of Stokkseyri is located on the southwest coast of Iceland about 40 miles from Reykjavik. This is the site of the newly formed Iceland Sculpture Park, and George Schroeder has accepted the honor of creating the inaugural sculpture for the park.
"Traveling Within" is the title for the sculpture, and it will soar 50 feet up into the sky. The forms of the sculpture are inspired by the geological mystery and beauty of Iceland, specifically the unusual basalt columnar forms that are created from volcanic activity. Also, the sculpture is designed to invite the viewer to travel inside of the sculpture, creating a contemplative and transformative experience. The sculpture will be facing southwest toward Texas, as homage to the patrons in Texas who will be making this unique project a reality.
BENEFITS OF SUPPORT
Your support of this exciting International Initiative helps create a permanent public work and plays a pivotal role in strengthening the San Antonio/Iceland cultural and economic bridge that has evolved from the ICE project. Each supporter at the $5,000 level of Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum's International Initiative and the Icelandic Cultural Exchange (ICE) featuring sculpture George Schroeder will receive:
• One of just 30 original exact scale sculpture "studies" of the piece that will be installed in Iceland by George Schroeder. Each study will be signed and numbered by the artist. Each of the studies will be slightly different, rather than an identical series, making each piece it's own unique work;
• The opportunity to have your company or family name identified on a bronze nameplate;
• A limited edition signed professional photograph of the completed sculptures
• An exclusive invitation to attend the unveiling party in celebration of the completed work
in Reykjavik with the artist, Icelandic dignitaries and top patrons.
For additional information please contact Zinnia Dunis Salcedo or Therese McDevitt at (210) 227-6960 or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
116 Blue Star, San Antonio, TX 78204
(210) 227-6960 | Contact Us | Hours
Blue Star Contemporary gratefully acknowledges major support from the City of San Antonio Department for Culture & Creative Development; The Lifshutz Family; Ann Griffith Ash; The Brown Foundation, Inc.; Charles C. Butt; Capital Group; Penelope Speier and Sonny Collins; H-E-B; Ricos Products Co., Inc.; Valero Energy Corporation; and Weston Urban. Additional essential support is provided by 1010 South Flores Lofts and 1111 Austin Highway Lofts; Argo Group; Bury, Inc.; Casa Rio & Schilo's; C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc.; Pat and Geof Edwards; Frost Bank; King William Association; Muñoz and Company; The NRP Group, LLC; Rackspace; Silver Eagle Distributors; Strasburger & Price, LLP; Texas Commission on the Arts; and the Community Partners, Members, Individual Donors, and Board of Directors of Blue Star Contemporary.
© Contemporary Art For San Antonio 2014
- Nov 19: